The Dead Turtle Memorial
On a very special night, at a very special beach in Goa, Olive Ridley sea turtles come in from the ocean to lay their eggs– this tree represents that annual event
- State: Goa
- Locality: Morjim Beach: Prominent on south edge of Arambol Beach
- Common name: SheOak or Casuarina: A tree familiar throughout Australian and South Pacific coastlines, planted as an ornamental throughout India. Its needle leaves and conelike fruits resemble the pines, but it is actually a flowering plant
- Botanical species: Casuarina equisetifolia
- Botanical family : Casuarinaceae [Casuarina]
- This species is profiled in Krishen’s Trees of Delhi: A Field Guide
- Latitude: 15.630476 ° north of the Equator
- Longitude: 73.723084 ° east of the Prime Meridian
- Altitude: 2.8 metres above sea level
You can see an overview map of all of the trees landmarked on the Maps page.
Click an attribute icon to learn more:
Zoom out (-) to locate this tree on Earth, or view Location Map
Zoom in (+) to see the tree crown, or view Aerial Image Map
- West Coast Walkabout
- Path : From Goa southwards down the Karnataka coast, to the mountain jungles of Wayanad, then across Pallakad Gap, up into Coimbatore and Murayur
- Date photographed: 30.11.09
You can discover other trees in Landmark Trees of India with searches by journey , species , family , attributes , state, or locality .
You can also follow external information links:
Landmark Trees of India: An outreach ecology project
For the landmarked tree named The Dead Turtle Memorial , the database reference code is: l002.
You can translate this page into Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Urdu, Tamil, Telugu, or fifty other languages at Google Translate:
© Outreach Ecology.com / YD Bar-Ness 2012 / Enjoy!