Brigade Street Rain and Column
In downtown Bangalore’s busiest commercial district, a rain tree stretches far to touch a tall Columnaris pine on the other side of the street
- Common name: Rain Tree: The Central American Rain Tree is planted throughout the tropics as a broadly spreading shade tree.
- Botanical species: Samanea saman
- Botanical family : Fabaceae [Pea family]
- Secondary common name : New Caledonian pine: An upright or soft-leaved coniferous tree from the Indian island of New Caledonia or where this and other uniquely Southern Hemisphere plant lineages survive
- Secondary botanical species: Araucaria columnaris
- Secondary botanical family : Araucariaceae [Monkey Puzzle]
- This species is profiled in Krishen’s Trees of Delhi: A Field Guide
- Latitude: 12.972262 ° north of the Equator
- Longitude: 77.607619 ° east of the Prime Meridian
- Altitude: 914.6 metres above sea level
You can see an overview map of all of the trees landmarked on the Maps page.
Click an attribute icon to learn more:
Zoom out (-) to locate this tree on Earth, or view Location Map
Zoom in (+) to see the tree crown, or view Aerial Image Map
- A West Coast Jungle Triangle
- Path : From Bangalore to the Western Ghats at Bandipur and Ooty, and Agumbe Rainforest, and then down the coast from Udupi to Calicut and back to Bangalore via Nilambur
- Date photographed: 6.11.09
You can discover other trees in Landmark Trees of India with searches by journey , species , family , attributes , state, or locality .
You can also follow external information links:
Landmark Trees of India: An outreach ecology project
For the landmarked tree named Brigade Street Rain and Column , the database reference code is: k021.
You can translate this page into Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Urdu, Tamil, Telugu, or fifty other languages at Google Translate:
© Outreach Ecology.com / YD Bar-Ness 2012 / Enjoy!